Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Three-speed BSA Keep Fit
description
★★★★★ This is a review of the audiobook. Jayne Entwistle does a perfect eleven-year-old Flavia in this audiobook – in tone, intellect, and mischievousness! I know I enjoyed it twice as much than if I’d only read Alan Bradley delightful book. What fun! This first in the Flavia de Luce Mystery series is a jewel.

I loved being transported back to the 1950s and joining Flavia as she took her bicycle*, Gladys, on her investigation round her charming English village of Bishop’s Lacey. She needs to prove her father (a philatelist and former amateur illusionist) innocent of murder, stopping only long enough to torture (or be tortured by) her older sisters. I really don’t know if it is for children; it is too deviously, deliciously witty by half. Can’t wait to hear the rest.

*pictured above!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (A Flavia de Luce Mystery, #1) by Alan Bradley The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (A Flavia de Luce Mystery #2) by Alan Bradley A Red Herring Without Mustard (A Flavia de Luce Mystery #3) by Alan Bradley I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (A Flavia de Luce Mystery #4) by Alan Bradley Seeds of Antiquity (A Flavia de Luce Mystery #5) by Alan Bradley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

01/11/2012
30.0% "I am totally loving this book. Too, too funny -- and clever!"

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 14: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Love love love this series! The Audio is terrific!

message 13: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara This is a great book. I agree that the audiobook is wonderful.

Lisa Kay I'm really enjoying it. Never heard this narrator b/f: Jayne Entwistle. I'll have to look for more of her.

message 11: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm really enjoying it. Never heard this narrator b/f: Jayne Entwistle. I'll have to look for more of her."

Yes, she really channels the voice of a precocious pre-adolescent, doesn't she?

Lisa Kay True, Lara! It is like she's channeling her, isn't it? It is not just that she has a "young" voice - it is more. Her tone and inflection. I find if I miss a part (b/c Real Life gets in the way), I don't mind going back over parts I've heard.

Midu Hadi Aha! So you like it! hehe

Lisa Kay Oh, Midu! The audiobook was fab! I think I'm going to listen again!

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review Lisa Kay. I love a good YA, and I've never listened to an audio book. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Audrey Cook Kolbek I am so glad you liked it so much! I loved it!!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla!

Lisa Kay It was just delicious , Audrey! LOL!

Jupiter394 I agree, the audio narrator did a fabulous job. I think I liked the story more because of it.

Lisa Kay I did too, Jupiter!

Joyce I love that you found the old bike ad, I just assumed it was a brand of bike but fun to see the real deal!