Fairytale Nerd's Reviews > The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope

The Light of Asteria by Elizabeth Isaacs

Dec 16, 11

Read in December, 2011

Read full review at The Fairytale Nerd.

LOVE:
I love the way Nora and Gavin are very emotionally open to each other. Their love story is really very romantic. Gavin is old fashioned, and clings to the traditions of the place where he comes from. Nora and Gavin's relationship is mature from the beginning. I think it bypassed the "baby" stage. While they do have relationship issues, they always manage to get through it all, just as love should every time. It sends a very positive message. I also liked the fact that Nora is Gavin's source of power. I actually believe this is true for all of us. Love really is a person's source of strength. I also love the fact that nature plays a major role. It's amazing to me how the elves communicate with nature. I loved those parts in the book. It made me wish that all people have the ability to do that too. I also love the part about unicorns. There aren't many good unicorn books, and it was nice reading about those mythical creatures. Also, the writing is like a song. I especially loved the descriptions in the book. It felt like I was watching a movie.

NO LOVE:
I didn't like the way Gavin made decisions for Nora. I felt that he did not trust her enough to make good decisions for herself. The books also depicted Nora as this "pure creature." What does that even mean? I never really got the full meaning of that idea, and how "purity" meshes with being "human." Another complaint is that there were abrupt changes in the scenes in the book.

MUSINGS:
While I loved Gavin, I think that he is too emotional for my taste. (haha) Nevertheless, he is one of my top book heroes. He's protective, handsome, powerful, and brave. This book has everything. It's a combination of everything I love in a book: action, romance, fantasy, and an adventure in another world. But for me, what really stands out about this book is the message about forgiveness, and ultimately, love.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light of Asteria.