Nicole Perez's Reviews > Copper Sun

Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

F_50x66
"Copper Sun" puts in perspective what is must have been like to have been a slave. A very remarkable story about Amari, a teenage girl from Africa, who is living a happy free life surrounded by her family and her village. Her family is brutally killed during the slave trade by the white men, and she is taken to the slave ship where she endures torture; and later, she is given to a plantation owner's 16 year old son as a birthday present. I was stunned and intrigued by the plot of "Copper Sun", and I thought it was beautifully written. Emotions of the characters are deeply felt, and Draper has pulled us into a world of slavery and survival. By the details of the author's writing, I assumed that she did a great deal of research and conducted interviews so as to portray life for Armani, and slaves in general, to be accurate and realistic, while still paying mind to the accessibility of the text and the nature of the story. I liked the to see how Amari bonded with Polly, a white indentured servent, showing that the two girls were not as different as they thought.
Curriculum: Very powerful, and in some cases, quite graphic. Worth reading with older students, perhaps middle school, or more appropriately, high school students. Can be used to teach in many units, such as civil rights, slavery, and freedom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper Sun.