Trenton Judson's Reviews > The Fixer

The Fixer by Bernard Malamud

Mar 10, 12

Read from December 04, 2011 to March 10, 2012

Yakov Bok is such a great character! I loved his blunt attitude and his resilience to stand up for his own suffering. He reminded me a lot of Tevye in "Tevye And The Dairyman," except Yakov is a lot more cynical and of course he is much more "free thinking" than Tevye, but they do have a very similar flavor.
Most of this book is spent in a penal institution which brought back some nightmares from my own experience in such a place, but Malamud shows so well the terrible dynamic between prisoner and guard and how evil such institutions can be. I also believe that his comment "So many prisoners, thought the prisoner, its a country of prisoners," expresses so deftly how the folly of states and nations can create such vile conditions that so many are under the system. It is very true that the United States is in a situation that merits reading a book like "The Fixer." One in twelve people in the United states are either in jail, prison, or on probation and we also have the highest number of prisoners in the world (Well over 2 million) and the highest Per Capita rate of prisoners in the world 715 per 100,000 incarcerated. When you take into account that the closest country to us in numbers is China, which nearly doubles our population, you can see that our law system is extremely ineffective and is at an alarming state and reading about Yakov Bok helps us to see that we need to keep all legal systems in check, that we need to follow what he considers the purpose of freedom, "to create it for others."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Judson Trent.. this looks amazing! I am particualarlly interested in reading this one. I think there is a LOT that needs to be addressed in our penal system. I look forwrd to reading this one!!! Thanks

Trenton Judson Thank you Mom! It's nice to have someone actually read one of my reviews.