Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom

The Surrender Tree by Margarita Engle

I had never heard of these 3 Cuban wars for independence until I read this book. Based on true events, this novel in verse tells the story of Rosa, a traditional healer, as she lives her life hiding in the jungle with the peasants and healing their wounds and illnesses. Beginning when she is a child, and ending when Cuba's government is turned over to the U.S. from Spain, the novel describes a life of constant fear of discovery, of moving from place to place to avoid being caught, of meeting and marrying Jose, together with whom she continues to heal both peasants and Spanish soldiers alike until the wars are finally over. A note at the end of the book gives her full name as Rosario Castellanos Castellanos. I wonder if she and the poet Rosario Castellanos are one and the same? I must investigate. Now I need to read more about the history of Cuba and the Spanish-American war. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surrender Tree.