RYCJ's Reviews > Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny

Le Freak by Nile Rodgers

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: my-keepers, dynamic-reads
Read in December, 2011

“A kite flies highest against the wind…” – Breathtaking!

I opened Nile Rodger’s memoir and honestly, had it not been for the Vine Program I would have missed out on enjoying one of the best books I’ve read this year.

His childhood was very hard to receive as cavalierly as he shared it, however when it came time to him sharing his music, there are three words that come instantly to mind. Oh – My – God!

The irony here is, once I was fully immersed and engaged into the technical philosophies of making music, was it when the DHM of his life, to include his young life, all came together like the many songs he helped bring up the charts. The language used I enjoyed most. The words and lines are not written, but composed. It’s the highest form of writing I know. So much so, at one point I questioned what I was reading. I mean, composing exceptional music is one art, but writing a book as influential as he was to music? …years later after the daily drug habit? But then, and ah ha, how could I have missed it? He is a musical genius.

Le Freak, a tremendous recording of musical influences inclusive, but not exclusive of classical, rock, pop and disco, incorporates so much by way of content that one review is far too little space to give it all the praise it deserves. His father, for one, touched me deeply. His brother and mother, hilarious. Too many times, one or the other was doing something that had me turned on my side laughing to tears. And Nard, oh man, what a compelling tribute. And still, the ‘metamorphosis of compressed and accelerated artistic talent’ brings out the significance of telling it all, none more important than the sharing of a phenomenal and inspirational musician living the dream in a time worth documenting. I am very moved, and indebted to have read a galvanizing musical icon.

Outstanding!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Le Freak.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonya (new) - added it

Tonya I'm so glad I saw this on your list. I'm almost halfway through and started it yesterday. He's such a gifted writer as musician. This man was our radio childhood!

RYCJ Glad you're getting into Le Freak. It really is a great book... and to think you knew him.