Phaedra's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011, print
Read in November, 2011

After having read the graphic novel, I took the plunge and started reading the book... again. I've started it on numerous occasions and never finished it. Well, I finally got the whole way through it! I get the feeling that this book was all about simply introducing us to the 'main' cast of characters. I didn't particularly like or dislike any of them and I felt that some of the descriptions of the Emond's Field kids(especially Perrin) were contradictory. I don't have specific examples on hand, that is just the general feel I got from the writing. Clearly things are just being set up for the future volumes and the pacing felt too slow for me to really get into it. It also frustrated me that every time I would start to get interested in the story it would jump to something else. I can forgive that unrealistic things happen to the boys (and girls) because the author sets up the idea that they are ta'veren and destiny sort of tosses them into fantastic events.

Over all it's a pretty simplistic story that could be tightened up and made more interesting by brevity. I did enjoy the first part of the graphic novel which cut out a lot of the extraneous matter. The blurb on the cover makes some sort of mention about Jordan finishing what Tolkien started... but, sorry, Jordan is no Tolkien. I'm getting the feeling that these books are either love them or hate them. At the moment I'm not in either camp, it's just mediocre reading.

I will probably give the second one a shot but I don't know if I'll be able to get through the whole series. I'll probably keep trying because so many friends of mine love the series to pieces... so it must be good, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.