Evelyn's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Dec 04, 2011

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, 2012-summer
Read on July 03, 2012

Impressive. The story of the gods was very interesting (especially once I read the author interview in the back where she said the Three incorporated elements of the Id, Ego, and Superego). Yeine was more likable at the beginning; Dekarta was more likable at the end. One of the strongest threads in the book was Yeine finding out more about her mother. Sieh and Zhakkarn were my favorites: the scene early on where Sieh has a room full of planet-toys left a powerful impression on me. In the interview Jemisin joked that she was a comic book illustrator in a past life, since the story grew because of some images: if that is so, I want to find her pre-incarnations comics and read them. Nahadoth was less interesting than he could have been. Nightlord, god of Chaos, yeah, he was pretty much exactly what you'd expect someone like that to be. Scimina was also predictable: cruel, vicious, ruthless, classy, psychotic noblewoman - but she was interesting. Will I read the other books? Yes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.