Melle's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: chicago, time-travel, romance
Read from December 04 to 13, 2011

The love story between the protagonists rang emotionally true for me, so much so that I was envious of their relative success as a couple, heartbroken when I read passages that I somehow mentally assigned to favorite ex-beau/love-of-my-life, and hopeful against futile hope that the time-space continuum doesn't matter when it comes to true love.

Really, the book is good but not great. There are enough allusions to major schools of thought in philosophy and physical science, but some of it just didn't ring as authentic dialogue to me. The supporting characters are decent little afterthoughts, and they aren't meant to stick out and be nearly as vibrant as Clare and Henry anyway.

I think I read this too soon after my break-up and far too soon after having my own time-bending moment when I saw favorite ex-beau/love-of-my-life again. Those feelings that don't die, that linger and haunt our dreams and stay just beneath the surface until they are reborn in one breathtaking moment, that make no sense logically but make perfect sense in the heart... Those are what surfaced and made me love this book, but I just can't justify giving it more stars due to the circumstances under which I read it.

12/04/2011 page 161
29.0% ""'... When we met I was wrecked, blasted, and damned, and I am slowly pulling myself together because I can see that you are a human being and I would like to be one, too. ...'""
12/12/2011 page 369
68.0% "'Everything is terrible and I can't seem to feel it.'"
12/13/2011 page 431
79.0% ""'Hey,' Henry says gently. 'Where are you?'" The kind of thing *he* might say, and that breaks my heart."
show 2 hidden updates…