Angie's Reviews > The Rainbow

The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence

Dec 04, 11

Not too far from a 5 star review from me. I supposed I marked it down because I was quite exhausted by the reading of this novel.

All encompassing, hugely emotional read in a style which could only be penned by D H Lawrence.

The three generational story line here really enveloped me into the plot and primarily into the lives of three women which is continually refreshing as they are not dwarfed as people in their own right by the men in their lives, as is so often the case.

Lawrence's style is of course, one which does not allow for a transient observer. We have to believe, live, love and realise in all the most harsh means, to buy into this, that life is to be lived, loved and experienced in all its facets to be understood and justified.

This story really bought to the forefront, the choices open to women at this time. I wonder if this really did open doors or only the thought of it, the promise of what was to come? I am grateful to D H Lawrence for his insight, tenderness, beauty and natural yearning in expression in bringing the plight of young Ursula Brangwyn to life on the written page. Here the force of human nature and all its capacities is allowed to leap and jump into vivid life through the medium of the printed page.

A stunning elegy to nature, love, human endeavour and a very enjoyable read. At times this left me drained but ultimately very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rainbow.