Caitlin's Reviews > The Pleasure of My Company

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Dec 09, 11

Read from December 06 to 08, 2011, read count: 1

Another amazing read from Steve Martin! He knows how to completely absorb himself in his characters, and this book is fascinating because it's narrated in the first-person by the main character, Daniel, a man with a mental disorder that I couldn't quite put my finger on, though I'm leaning toward OCD. Whatever it is, it involves ridiculous neuroses like being unable to step off of curbs (making travel by foot anywhere virtually impossible) and forming "magic squares" in his mind using both numbers and people. Daniel's thoughts sometimes move at a million miles a minute. They are ridiculous and fascinating at the same time, and most of the time, Daniel is aware of his neuroses and how irrational they truly are. He is aware but he must carry them out, and this combined with the obvious fact that he is extremely intelligent made me sympathize with him as a reader, because I feel like he was trapped by his mental disorder, and knew it.

The other characters in the book are well-developed and made more engaging by the fact that they are seen through Daniel's eyes. He thrives on playing off people, on analyzing their behavior and gauging their reactions to things he says or asks. It's an interesting way to look at those in Daniel's life and shows that Daniel does understand plenty about the world around him, but cannot let himself use what he understands to lead a normal life.

The ending put me off a bit - it came suddenly and seemed a bit unrealistic. However, I still give this book 5 stars because Steve Martin's writing has not ceased to amaze me since I started reading his books less than a week ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure of My Company.