Sara (sarabara081)'s Reviews > Venom

Venom by Fiona Paul

Oct 10, 12

Read from July 30 to August 05, 2012

You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books!

Beautifully seductive and enchanting, Venom by far surpassed my expectations and became one of my favorite reads of 2012!

Admittedly, I do not read a lot of historical fiction but once I read the premise behind Venom, I just knew it was something I had to read! I always enjoyed the Renaissance era and the author transported me back in time to the beautiful Venice and all that was encompassed by it. From the gorgeous dresses and masked balls, to the gondola rides through the canal, and even secret rendezvous in the graveyard. All of this just made the murder mystery that much more exciting! The writing was superb and the details exquisite. I can only imagine the amount of research needed for authenticity, but I would say it all hit dead on. Everything felt alive, wonderous, and incredibly romantic.

Cassandra is dealing with the expectations placed on her by her Aunt and of course her upbringing when she discovers a dead courtesan's murdered body in the graveyard outside her home. Instead of going to tell the guards what she has discovered, she embarks on a dangerous, yet exciting adventure with Falco, an artist who she also finds in the graveyard that night. Together they set out to solve the mystery of who the girl is and who the murderer could possibly be, before Cass becomes a victim as well. And oh how this adventure hooked me! Falco was the perfect blend of the proper gentleman to suit the times, and the somewhat cocky, self assured personality that was incredibly charming. He was mischievous, yet sweet and I craved his presence whenever he was missing from the pages. And guys... he paints her! Like skimpy outfit, beautiful necklace type deal, a la Titanic? *melts*

"Your beauty lights up the darkest night," he said. "I could paint an entire chapel just for you. Maybe I will someday."

*swoon* I don't usually envision anyone in my head as I'm reading, but there is one scene where Falco gets hit in the head with a saucepan. From then on out I dubbed him as Flynn Rider from Tangled. LOL But seriously, everything about their secret meetings and scandalous adventures blew me away and left me craving more.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, than I highly recommend this book to you. If you are just a fan of romance, then I highly recommend this one to you. Actually, if you are a fan of reading in general, I highly recommend Venom to YOU!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

07/30/2012 page 29
08/02/2012 page 173
40.0% "LOVING this so far! <3"
08/05/2012 page 432
100.0% "LOVED. Review to come."
show 3 hidden updates…