William Herschel's Reviews > The Paper Garden: An Artist Begins Her Life's Work at 72

The Paper Garden by Molly Peacock

Dec 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: nonfiction, biography, unfinished, sexuality

A biography combining the author's memoirs sounds intriguing under normal circumstance, about the author's search about the person or their own self-discovery or whatever, especially when the biograph-ee is an artist. This, however, came across as really self-possessed, strange, and confusing. One is bombarded with names and casual relationships, the author's own intrusions, and this really strange sexual interpretation of the artwork from the beginning without context, as if the only inclusion is to be shocking and jarring. (view spoiler)

So I will dedicate this space instead to Mary Delany who made really beautiful, original flower representations with tiny pieces of paper. The black background makes them feel otherworldly but otherwise, they are true botanical representations, excepting the missing roots.

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Garden.

12/05/2011 page 11
3.0% ""They all come out of darkness, intense and vaginal, bright on their black backgrounds as if, had she processed one, she had shined a flashlight on nine hundred and eighty-five flowers' cunts." I was expecting this to be beautiful but I am not liking the style and I cannot see the obvious 'vaginal' quality of these flower collages."