Lorraine's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: z2012, american, listened-to
Read from March 25 to April 06, 2012

I can't say I loved this one. The beginning was dull for me, but I slugged through and it did get better. Mitchell's plotline probably saved the book for me. No complaints about the writing: that was solid. But I don't think I liked Madeline much; she's a bit flaky at times. I thought Leonard was a geek when I first met him, then Mitchell's perspective showed me that he was actually a popular guy on campus. Strange that I missed that component on my own. The literary, philosophical, and theological discussions in the book really interested me and possibly redeemed some of the book for me. I think this is one of those books that would probably come through stronger after a book club discussion than just reading alone. I kind of needed more discussion about the idea of the marriage plot, more references throughout the novel, to really understand how it was foundational to the book (the interview with the author at the end helped fill in some gaps for me). I liked Middlesex a whole lot more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.