Kathryn's Reviews > A Stroke of Midnight

A Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. Hamilton

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in December, 2011

I don't know if there's much I can say in this review that I haven't said in the other three reviews. Slow pace blah blah blah, obsession with descriptions of clothing blah blah blah, Mary-Sue who's passionately hated by half the characters and passionately desired by the other half (if someone's indifferent then they're not featured in this book), and did I mention the slow pace? This one didn't even get two days of real time; apparently now the magical dwelling place of the fairie host is moving at a different pace from the rest of the world. Probably compensation for when Merry says something like "We need to talk to the police investigators right now!", and then it takes thirty pages, two seductions, and an assassination attempt for somebody to remember, "Hey, weren't we going to go talk to the police?"

And I still LIKE the books. They're packed with gorgeous characters, the sex is ENDLESSLY inventive (this one has middle-of-the-hallway sex, a four-way, mystical transport to another plane (via sex)(at least twice) and a surprise three-way), and Hamilton still has a way of combining the exotic with the everyday in the middle of a sentence that will catch the reader off guard. I'm thinking in particular of a segment where a magical sword is receiving a message from an unknown warrior. The blade drips blood from nowhere, the blood slowly begins to spell out words...and then the message itself comes across as so irritated and mundane that I had to laugh. I just wish Hamilton had found an editor that could have pointed out the overused phrases and moved the pace along a bit, but that won't keep me from reading the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stroke of Midnight.