Redparrot's Reviews > Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

U_50x66
Jan 04, 12

Read from December 04, 2011 to January 04, 2012

OMG ... this is a fantastic book. It is a brilliantly researched book on space flight and our acccmplishments to date with the objective of answering "what will it take for us to get men/women on Mars?" Dozens and dozens of interviews with astronauts, cosmonauts and anyone who is anyone at NASA, ISS and other country equivalents.

Having said that - I never EVER want to go into space. One or two of these chapters give me clausterphobia just READING about it.

It is true - however - the science of space is fascinating.

Dec 6 2011 - This book gets better and better with every chapter. It describes the little-talked about underbelly of space flight. Last night's chapter was motion sickness ... hit a footnote of such hilarity that I had tears running down my face. I tried to read it aloud for an audience and could not. Barfing dogs have never been so funny.

This is *so* going to be a five-star ...

Jan 4 2012 - This book ended up being everything I had hoped for. Roach is a spectacular writer - able to distill complex science principles into lay terms that are understandable. Plus she is funny. Her footnotes are hysterical as is her end of paragraph one liners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Packing for Mars.