Kelli Lee's Reviews > The Space Between

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy, demons, young-adult
Read from December 23 to 28, 2011

I really didn't know that angels of the non-fallen variety would be a part of the plot. Had I have known that I probably wouldn't've been anxiously awaiting the release of The Space Between. As a general rule of thumb, for some strange reason, I don't particularly care for stories revolving around demons and archangels battling it out. It might be because, strangely, angel lore/stories/movies bore me to tears. Supernatural and Daughter of Smoke and Bone are my two exceptions. But demons on the other hand? Love them, love stories revolving around them. And I prefer for them to be humanized. But enough of my musings . . . .

The Space Between started out with a bang. The setting is in Hell. So cool, right? And Daphne's (the protagonist) mom is Lilith. So cool again, right? The coolness factor was in full swing. Hell's chrome and steel cityscape was being described. Uniqueness, check. Silver flower and metal-vined gardens fashioned from steel. Glossy buildings. Glowing red Pits. Furnaces. Various occupations being setup. Sexy as hell fallen angels strutting around in pinstripe suits - Beelzebub anyone? You so want to read this book, right? Enthralled was I until . . . Hell and its fiery brimstone was vacated within a few chapters. Yep, Daphne jump-doored it outta there. Ugh! I wanted more of the Hell setting. Why? Because it's unique. I'm so sick of the same old same old. What is life in Hell for Daphne like? I'm afraid that question, as far as this book is concerned, will never be answered. And unfortunately life in Hell is what I thought this book would entail. Nope. Instead us readers get Chicago as the setting. How fun.

But let's chat about the plot. I don't know. The plot held my interest in the beginning, you know, while characters were chillaxin' in Hell, but honestly, said interest began to wane about 2/3 or really 1/2 of the way through, once (view spoiler) appeared. I'm sorry. I know this is fantasy, but I began to have horrendous flashbacks to my Breaking Dawn reading experience. Spoiler reminded me way too much of (view spoiler). And said spoiler was downright bizarre to say the least. Didn't make any sense and . . . there are no words. It certainly didn't help wrangle my wandering mind back into the story. But you know, spoiler was the tip of the iceberg. The plot wasn't, well, plotty enough for me, I guess too thin for my tastes. At the end of the day, I was expecting a different novel. I'm disappointed. But it's not this book's fault. I had a completely different premise painted in my mind.

So 3 stars it is for the unique setting in the beginning, for a unique premise. For a well-written lost soul who goes by the name of Truman. I truly could feel this character's pain, his agony, his having nothing to look forward to in life. The black pit of despair he was holed up in. And for Daphne, the demon girl who so desperately wants to save him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between.

12/23/2011 "I am very excited to read this book."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle Hmmm, maybe I'll have to check this one out (even though I loathed The Replacement to pieces).

Kelli Lee Kyle wrote: "Hmmm, maybe I'll have to check this one out (even though I loathed The Replacement to pieces)."

Me too, Kyle. Me too. Loathed is too kind of a word. It was that bad for me. So had Hell not've been the premise for this novel, I wouldn't've picked the book up at all. Period. But like I said, I didn't have a love affair with The Space Between like so many others. But I felt I had to give props to Yovanoff for her uniqueness, up until a point, like once Hell or Pandemonium locale was all but forgotten and from there, the characters coasted along their new locale Meh-istan.