Stephanie Davies's Reviews > No and Me

No and Me by Delphine de Vigan

4012067
Dec 04, 11

I wanted to read No and Me after hearing an excerpt on Radio 4 last year. I finished it in a couple of days. It's short, sweet, and simple on the surface. But it's a little deeper when you think about the actual content of the novel. It reminds me a lot of the film Times Square. It also reminds me a little of Beloved, but that might only be an easy comparison because it's the last book I've read.

I spent much of my adolescence in the company of 'streeties.' I wonder now what they must have thought of me. I drank with them in the city until it got dark, and then said goodbye and went home because my parents were expecting me. ('This isn't your life, do you understand? IT'S NOT YOUR LIFE.') It's true that there are so many worlds in any one city. Sometimes they touch.

I particularly liked the references to The Little Prince. However, I thought the ending was a little weak. Maybe I just don't like the idea of a kiss between the protagonist and Lucas, because of how much younger she must be (and wasn't he kept back a few years as well?). It reminds me of that scene in This Is England. Ick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No and Me.