Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)'s Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

May 05, 12

bookshelves: favorites, aug
Read from January 30 to February 15, 2012

I love the fact that this story had everything I was looking for in it. From the description and the cover I knew what to expect and it lived up to every bit of the excitement I had since I first heard about the story. The author does a great job informing the readers about the events that occurred during Hurricane Katrina, and has it as the actual events that the characters have to work around to solve their own mystery. Hurricane Katrina and the resulting events could be considered a character all in itself. A well handled way of introducing a real-life event into a great Urban Fantasy storyline.
After our MC Drusilla has left the New Orleans area because of the hurricane warning, she finds out that her boss and father figure Gerry has gone missing. She is asked by the Elders to return to the area and investigate, upon her return she discovers that the Hurricane has not only opened the levees around the city, flooding the city, but the doors to the otherworld have also opened and released the preternatural beings that have been banished there. As DJ is just getting started in her investigation and trying yet again to get out of the groping hands of the 200 year old undead pirate Jean Lafitte, her newly appointed partner shows up. A partner she had no idea was coming, or felt she needed.
Their investigation takes them around the city finding clues that may lead to what happened to Gerry. A combination of entertaining and dangerous characters that reveal clues that this could be a mystery beyond finding Gerry, but some of the beings that were released just may be planning something bigger.
With a combination of otherworldly characters (like famous ghosts finding their way back home) to the soldiers and the every day people trying to clean up after the storm. To the run-in with some very powerful voodoo magic. I'm not sure what else I could have asked for, humor, with light romance and a mystery that goes beyond just a missing persons case with entertaining and humorous situations and a twist ending.
I love stories that involve a combination of different characters and possibilities of which direction the story can go. This opens up the series to have a variety of directions it can go in the future in both the magical world and the mundane. DJ is just touching on some of her magical powers and has a potential in becoming a beloved heroine in today's Urban Fantasy world. She is strong, determined, and loyal.
Royal Street is a must read debut novel, it can only get better from here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.

01/30/2012 page 100
30.0% "Lusty groping 200 yr old Pirate!!!"
02/07/2012 page 100
30.0% "yay finally have time to jump back into this awesome book! :)"