Nichole Hurst's Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

F_50x66
So, first time I read this book is was to my two year daughter... And to be honest, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had read great reviews about this book, and it seemed age appropriate for her; needless to say I was quite surprised. I began reading the first two pages, and I had to immediately make up my own story using the pictures. I didn't finish the book with her... we'll have to try again in a few years. Reading this book as an adult, I found it quite hilarious!

Where the Wild There Are won the Caledcott Medal for the Best Picture Book- and rightfully so. Sendak does a beautiful job ilustrating with water pastel colors and pencil sketching for the wild things. The illustrations were the highlights of this book.

Max's reaction to going to bed without dinner is imagining this mystical fantasy world in his room, to escape the harsh punsishment of his mother, Max seeks out an alternative world that will treat him better and love him more than his mother does. Max hops in a boat and sails to the Land of Wild Things. Once there, Max experiences monsters who are half human and half animal= monster. In the middle of the book, there are three pages of illustrations of Max in his wolf suit and However, once Max realizes that this is not the case, he returns to his mother. There is another spread of illustrations in the book of the 'wild things' having a party! The are is amazing!

I think would be a great book to use for multi-curricular purposes. This books could used to teach children about imagaination, art, geography, and possibly even drama/theatre.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.