Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > The Prestige

The Prestige by Christopher Priest

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: mari-owl, babble-added
Read from December 03 to 05, 2011

I prefer the movie, but I'm not sure if that's because I saw it first or because it condensed the confusion down to a lean story of obsession and one-upmanship. My reading was heavily influenced by knowing the major spoilers. Should've read the book first.

Dammit, what is with the Monday morning over-the-shoulder snoopers? Gotta make this fast. Unreliable narrators, stupid feuds with real consequences that made them impossible to let go, destroying your own life through choices. Each man had a chance at normal family life and ended up following their lust at some point. Each man wrote of wanting to give up the feud, of trying to reach out to the other and being rebuffed. Each man clearly tailored their record of incidents. What really happened? Probably something in between. And at the end...huh? I don't understand the purpose of the cult that started out the story, except it maybe implied, well, spoiler.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prestige.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad I think this really is one of those rare cases when the movie is better than the book, Eh? Eh!. I don't think it would have mattered in what order you engaged with them.

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Tregillis The movie is definitely better than the book. I saw the movie before reading the book, too, which usually isn't how I like to do things, but I'm pretty sure I would have preferred the movie even if I'd seen it after reading the book.

Scratch that-- if I'd read the book first, I wouldn't have bothered with the movie.

The movie is a great adaptation because it strips out the completely pointless frame story, and comes up with a much more sensible ending, while maintaining the essence of the story. In my humble opinion.

Brad That's how I feel too, Ian.

Eh?Eh! Snoop, snoop-pa-doop.

The gr-er who recommended this to me said this is one of the few cases where she felt the movie is better than the book. Consensus is nice.

I like finding out what happens afterwards, after the happily ever after and after the secrets are revealed. If that had been much better done here, it could've been all right.

Brad It did, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Huge Ackman and Chris Tinbale

Ryan I also thought the movie was better. I always wondered if the book would have been better if I'd read the book first.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Tregillis Interestingly, somebody who might or might not be Christopher Priest weighed in on a discussion of the differences between the film and novel over at Tor.com.

Eh?Eh! Hah! He sounds a little miffed at the attention for the film.

message 10: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Tregillis I kinda thought so, too.

I would have expected the movie was a boon to sales of the book. Dude, it's like having David Bowie advertise your book for you.

Eh?Eh! Yeah, yeah, Bowie's cool and all...but what about my booooooook?!?! It's cool, too!

message 12: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Tregillis I like to believe that Bowie preferred the movie over the book, too, because that would make me a little bit like David Bowie.

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Tregillis I'm a cretin: I prefer the remake. But yes, that David Bowie!

(Although I have to give Warren Oates credit for imbuing his role with unexpected gravitas.)