R.Scot Johns's Reviews > Catching Fire

Dec 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, kindle
Read from December 04 to 14, 2011

I'd give this another star if it were written better, because the story is interesting and a few of the main characters are likable enough (if not the rest).

But who writes in present tense? It's awkward and clunky as a grade school paper. And I continue to dislike the trend toward first person narratives, which I find far too limiting in scope to tell a story of any great depth. Like the main character, I found myself far too often thinking "What?" and waiting for an explanation to come.

This is particularly annoying in the poorly handled final twist, which would have been far more interesting if things weren't kept so secretive and we were allowed to hear the thoughts and see the actions of the secondary characters. But first person narratives don't allow for this, so we're left with only one character's point of view, only to find that character is intentionally left in the dark much of the time.

Collins does an admirable job of portraying the few main characters close to Katniss, but the remainder of the cast is populated with thin and clichéd figures, most of whom have no real depth or motivation. Still, this is Katniss Everdeen's story, and I'm looking forward to reading the final book of the trilogy in order to see how it turns out, so I suppose that's a sign that I liked it well enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

12/07/2011