Abby's Reviews > No Greater Sacrifice

No Greater Sacrifice by John C. Stipa

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, read-2012, adventure, mystery-and-thriller
Read from January 10 to March 16, 2012

I got a copy of this book through a First Reads giveaway. The author enclosed a personal note and signed the book. Thank-you!

This book reminds me of an "Indiana Jones" movie or "National Treasure". It's a combination of mystery and romances, touching on European history, myths and archaeology. There's some tense moments that involve PG-13 related material and language to give you a heads-up. The author has a definite flair for the dramatic. Like an "Indiana Jones" movie, each character is a bit on the ridiculous side. Especially the bad guys. The idiosyncrasies of the bad guys was one of my favorite things about the book!

The author creates an elaborate puzzle for the characters (and the reader) to solve involving the seven deadly sins, seven historical figures and seven European cities. We follow them on adventures throughout Europe. The descriptions of the landmarks creates a clear mental picture for the reader.

Renee, the heroine, has been diagnosed with leukemia - but we never know what kind. Her parents left her with a trust fund, so she's able to travel to different archeological digs around the world. She watched her father die from cancer and is haunted by the past. David is a retired helicopter pilot with some issues of his own. There relationship is a very important part of the story but doesn't take the focus from the action.

This is a story for pure enjoyment. Other reviewers have noted the unrealistic pieces of the story - i.e. Renee destroying an ancient Greek temple, stealing an artifact and climbing out using a cross-bow. Obviously, this requires the reader to take the story with the proverbial grain of salt.

Great read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Greater Sacrifice.

01/20/2012 page 24
show 12 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Stipa Fair points Abby. I don't understand the demand for "totally realistic" fictional adventure. Do I really believe a giant bowling ball chased Indiana Jones out of a ancient temple or carrying the Holy Grail passed the Great Seal could trigger the destruction button? No. Would I have it any other way? No way. NGS is a roller coaster of adventurous fun, kind of like a Saturday afternoon at the movies.

Abby I edited my review a bit since I finished it. Thank-you! I'm planning on passing the book to my brother. I think he'll like it, too.