Shane's Reviews > This Immortal

This Immortal by Roger Zelazny

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, read-in-2011
Read from December 04 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

So I have mixed feelings about this one. It's crazy to think that it shared the Hugo award with Dune because it's scope is so much smaller than Dune's. Okay yes the world is mostly destroyed and there's an alien race that has kind of taken over, but the story really zooms in on a kind of action/adventure thing with a main character that is never really defined. Is he a god? A mutant? The child of a god? It's really never figured out.

The radiated people with their leader was definitely a homage to Doctor Moreau. I don't know where the dog came from (I assumed it was from myth but google's not coming up with anything). Not sure about the black beast either. The overall story seemed thought out but it seemed at times he just threw this extra stuff in to add some action and mystery. Unfortunately for me it ended up feeling kind of like Stephen King's Dark Tower series, just kind of stream of consciousness with nothing really connected (although King's series may have connected in the end, I only read the first 3).

I'm sure I'll probably hear from some sci-fi elitist about how I have transgressed against Zelazny's the god of sci-fi. Just please remember this isn't a personal insult, I've met the guy, he was one of the nicest guys on the planet. I've liked (and sometimes loved) a bunch of his stuff. But this is two in a row now that didn't really do it for me so I'm starting to worry that I've read all his good stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Immortal.