Jason's Reviews > The Horror Of The Shade

Dec 06, 2011

bookshelves: e-books, read-2011
Read from December 04 to 06, 2011

5 Stars

What a great horror read. Meredith grabs a hold of you right from the start, with a taut, scary, and well done opening that sets the stage, the tone, and the plot.

Peter Meredith has created a wonderful Poltergeist like scare fest that works by creating a cast of real, likable, albeit a bit stereotypical bunch to like and empathize with. You have your large, strong military father figure in William, who is both the foundation and the strength on which this story is built. He has his own issues and fears, but we the reader get to see him as he works through them.  You have his soon to be a man of a teenage son in Willy J. that appears to be a young edition of his bravado father. You have the super smart sister in Talitha, whom, of course, does not realize how beautiful she really is.  There are many other great side characters, a priest, a gypsy, a nerd, and a caring mom too.

Meredith's writing has some great unique aspects to it. One, he loves filling in the blanks with interesting dialogue:
"Holy Crap! Look at this place! Gayle exclaimed, using only a widening of her eyes, followed by quick glance about.
'I know. Be cool about it.' he responded by way of the tiniest nod combined with a slight down turn of his lips....'It's ok, dear. You are a good husband and father, and I love you,' she made this known by rubbing his back in a circular motion twice, followed by a quick couple of pats."

He also paints a great picture in his action scenes, that play off this style and provides us a lot of details. He adds flair and intrigue to ramp up the tension. One small snippet that I enjoyed:
"Yes, only a boy, after years of accepting impossibly stupid dares, of leaping for trees, fences, building, and even the tops of moving cars could have done it. Will was that kind of boy, at the beach or the pool during the endless summer days that seemed like heaven, no dive was ridiculous enough in its danger to slow him down, if there was a sun kissed girl nearby to impress,"

As for the horror. After a big bang beginning, the suspense and tension slowly builds and the level of creepiness increases. I really was at the edge of my seat as I found myself quickly trying to find out what happened next.  As the plot thickens, and the story unfolds Meredith, to  my pleasure throws in a good deal of God fearing religion and Christian beliefs.

"In the beginning was the word and the word was with God"
This is not a gory read, nor is it very graphic, but it still succeeds at being intense and at times scary. You will find connections with the characters which will lead you to feeling a bit of their fears.  The characterizations are good, the story is tight, and the horror is so much fun. A great start and finish to book number one in a series that I am now highly recommending and looking forward to.

And a super great deal for Kindle readers on Amazon...I got it for $.99.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horror Of The Shade.

Peter Meredith Thanks Jason for the very kind review. When an author gets a review such as this one it does wonders to their motivation! I'm the mouse getting the cheese after a long maze.