Shy's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, on-kindle, read-in-2011, ya_genre-romance
Read from December 04 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy

Overrated. Lola and the Boy Next Door is simply the remake of its predecessor Anna and the French Kiss but with a more clichéd storyline and melodramatic characters.

My biggest issue with this book was Lola, the main character, as she was continuously portrayed as a whiny, selfish teen that always wanted herself, her feelings to come first without thinking much about others'. I dislike the way she treated her parents, the lies she told her boyfriend and how she played with Cricket's - the boy next door - feelings. What made it worst was that, despite all these mistakes that she made, she still thought herself as the victim and that was so immature and wrong.

Another thing that irked me was how forced and contrived certain parts of the story felt especially those that have to do with Lola's boyfriend, Max. Perkins used the easiest way to kick him out of the equation and I found this to be both frustrating and rather unreasonable. I wish that the author could think of something more mature in handling this issues with their relationship but alas, the way it was dealt with was so clumsy and absurd.

All in all, Lola and the Boy Next Door was an OK, entertaining read but I wish that there is more substance and a little less lust and teen angst in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

12/05/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malvina (new)

Malvina I agree, I had high exceptions since everyone I know gave a good review about it but it turns out as a disappointment for me.

message 2: by Shy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shy That's true. This book is the total opposite of Anna. Really hope that the third one would be MUCH better than this.