Leslie's Reviews > Shadow Blade

Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass

Dec 30, 11

Read from December 20 to 28, 2011

I initially decided to read this book because of the cover. An urban fantasy book with a black lead!? Wow. It's rare that you find much diversity in paranormal romance or urban fantasy, and if you do it's a small role and their not really too important to the plot. There's also the stereotype that may come with writing black characters. I've never read any L.A. Banks books, but from what I hear (and please correct me if I am wrong) that her books are written with "urban dialogue" and the characters are portrayed in a stereotypical way that can be marginalizing.

Shadow Blade is pretty good. The lead character is Kira Solomon a Shadowchaser. She is basically responsible for protecting the light ( good people, other beings) from the shadow a.k.a people who are evil. She has the power to kill with one touch which makes relationships impossible, both romantic and otherwise. That is until she meets Khefar a 4,000 year old man who needs to save 64,831 lives to pay for the ones he took in retribution for the slaughter of his family-as well as the lives he took in anger that were not associated with his loss. For some reason he can touch Kira without any reaction, and it's the first touch she has experienced in years. When he meets Kira he only needs to save two more people before he can go join his family in what I gather is heaven-or something like heaven. The book follows the two as they take on members of the shadow who want to destroy the world as they know it.

I feel as though the book started off relatively slow and then got really good and ended kind of "meh." The conclusion leaves a lot unanswered which I guess I will understand more when I read the next book. It didn't end on a cliffhanger, just left a lot unexplained. The world Glass creates is at times difficult to understand. All the talk about gods and souls, light and shadow was really confusing for me for awhile. I understood it more as I went along however. The romance in the books is pretty tame. Maybe more YA romance than UF romance. I'm interested to see where the story goes and if it keeps my interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Blade.

12/20/2011 page 79