Laura Murdoch's Reviews > Juliet

Juliet by Anne Fortier

631999
Dec 03, 11

Read in December, 2011

I had high expectations for this book, but it just didn't deliver for me. The book is bit of a mix of modern day Romeo and Juliet and the re-telling of Shakespeare's classic... but set in 1340 and in Siena instead of Verona. Great premise for what could be a compelling story. However, I just didn't enjoy it, even though I really wanted to. The characters were one-dimensional, the plot was confusing at times and lacked depth, and even the romance story is cheesy. I found the main character so self-absorbed, clueless and shallow. She was better suited for a TV sitcom than Romeo and Juliet. One of the few parts of the book I enjoyed was the fact that it was set in Siena. Siena is one of my very favorite cities in the entire world. I could picture every part of the city the author described. She picked a great setting for her re-telling of the classic story. This book took me 3 weeks to read which is the longest I spent reading almost any novel. I would have put it down much earlier had this not been a book club selection.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.

message 1: by Ang (new)

Ang glad to hear this, I was going to get it- after reading about it I found I had little interest and just could not bring myself..... being short on time... I didn't want to "risk" it. :)

Laura Murdoch Angela wrote: "glad to hear this, I was going to get it- after reading about it I found I had little interest and just could not bring myself..... being short on time... I didn't want to "risk" it. :)"
Don't let my review influence you Angela...there are many in book club that really enjoyed it!

message 3: by Ang (new)

Ang perhaps on a month that did not have a wedding coming up i would have tried, but .....I am good to let go of this for the moment
:))