Trudi's Reviews > The Killing Circle

The Killing Circle by Andrew Pyper

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: crime-mystery, oh-canada, 2011-reads, rusa-reads
Read from December 19 to 20, 2011

I enjoyed parts of this book very much. Andrew Pyper is a talented storyteller and I will continue to seek him out. He gets character development, understands the integrity of back story, knows how to draw out suspense and when to twist the knife in. All of these elements are on spectacular display in his latest novel The Guardians, but I did find them to be a little lacking here.

This is a good novel, and if you desire an original take on a whodunit mystery with some horror elements thrown in for good measure, there’s a chance it will read as a great novel. I’m not a mystery lover so much of what Pyper achieves here stylistically was lost on me. The long drawn out approach to the missing and murdered, the red herrings, and the process of making just about everyone equally suspicious started to lose its charm for me about three-quarters of the way through.

I will say that this is an expertly plotted piece that hits no wrong notes. It is a unique premise blending several genres together in an interesting way. I love Pyper’s insights into the psyche of aspiring novelists. The sequences describing the writing circle itself cast a spell on me that reminded me both of Ghost Story and Stephen King’s novella The Breathing Method.

I did appreciate the ending (view spoiler)

All of this to say it’s my fault that this book didn’t get a higher rating, not Pyper’s. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Circle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Smith Oooooo! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one!