Monaliz's Reviews > The Start-Up

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: ebook, read-2012
Read on January 17, 2012

My rating: 4/5 stars
Read the review in my blog!

May contain some spoilers
Amelia and Adam are twins. They're also orphans, bounced from foster home to foster home, but now they're doing better as a scholarship students in college. Even though they're twins, they aren't excactly identical, since the other one, Amelia has the the brain, and Adam the social skills.
Along the way they meet some mean people, but in the end, they have their lucky break.

Okay, first of all: Amelia makes me feel like I'm a total zero! That's sad. Yes, she's all awkward and I love her and everything, but man, do I hate her brain! Hell, where's my lucky break!? But at least she gave me a hell of a boost and I started actually doing something. I did got over this envy-why-i-suck-so-bad- phase and in the end, I really liked her. She's a brilliant girl with a sence of justice and I couldn't stop reading this story! Mainly because of Amelia.

In the beginning I actually cheered for Adam since he's sort of an underdog; he has no special skills, except getting along with people, but the only way he goes to Silicon Valley is because of his sister, not really because of himself. Which kinda sucks. On the other hand it feels like Adam is taking advantage of Amelia's talent and it did bother me occasionally. But like with Amelia's huge brain, I got over this too. Even though it did feel sometimes like there's people who can do it, and there's people who are bathing in your light, so to say. But hey!, it doesn't bother Amelia, so let's forget about it!

This story did remind me of one book series I've read: Gossip Girl. Except I couldn't stop reading this one, and I had to force myself into reading Gossip Girl (6 books, then I started to feel like I was losing my will to live. But I do love the TV show! Okay, let's move on). These two series share some similar quality, but The Start-Up has more depth and action and man, did I love the action! It was quite exciting, I can tell you that.

The story was quite short, but since I had the second part of this series already on my computer, I didn't mind. Though it kept me up too long, I should've been sleeping, but I couldn't stop reading. So prepare yourself ;) And WARNING, get the second part before reading this, because there's huge cliffhangers.

Love,
Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Start-Up.