Jennifer King's Reviews > The House at Riverton

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 03 to 20, 2011

A story of love and mystery and the secrets held over time, THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON captivated me with its lush twists and tucks in the story. Told in 1999 by Grace Bradley, one-time housemaid at the Riverton Estate in England, the story she tells is of the family she cared for, of sisters Hannah and Emmeline, and of the vast and sweeping secrets she helped them to keep. With full-bodied characters flawed over time and hardships, the sweeping story Grace tells leads the reader to a highly impactful ending.

Kate Morton's beautiful style of telling the story is enchanting, and keeps the reader turning pages ever more urgently as the novel draws to a close. I appreciated Ms. Morton's adept telling of the story through the eyes of Grace, and of the complex world she reflects upon from her youth.

It is important not to flip to the end and spoil the story ... I was blown away by the ending, yet it all made perfect sense.

A brilliant, luminous read, highly recommended for readers who enjoy literary mystery woven with a impactful love story, with historical and contemporary elements. One of my all-time favorite novels.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Riverton.