Brenda's Reviews > Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

Dec 03, 11

Read in November, 2011

"Make the Bread,Buy the Butter" is a perfect cookbook for today's economy. The author experimented with making many convenience foods, and then broke down the cost and ease of making and then weighs the pros and cons of making verses buying.When I started reading this book I found myself skipping the recipes and reading the authors stories which were witty and often laugh out loud funny. The author takes us along on her journey as she decides to raise live chickens and then later goats and turkeys.I did go back and read the recipes and was actually amazed at how easy and cost effective it is to make some of the everyday things my family uses. I was also actually surprised to see a few recipes included that I have been using for years.
The recipes in this book make it a real keeper, and the personal stories and the laughs I got while reading them were just an added bonus! It's like a memoir and recipe book rolled into one. I think anyone who enjoys cooking will like this book, and it would actually make a nice gift.
A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.