Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Phantom in the Night

Phantom in the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jun 12, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Read in June, 2008

OK. The BAD boys (and girls) are gearing up for some serious ass-kicking. "Phantom in the Night" is the longest BAD novel yet at 404 pages of almost non-stop action. The length of the book can certainly be attributed to the backstory buildup necessary for the next however many books. We learn about a wacko pseudo-religious intelligentsia group who are planning...wait for it...to take over the world! They are experimenting with biological weapons to destabilize governments and snatch control. So...if you can gulp that down, here's my take on this first story.

What a hero. Nathan has been a protector his entire life. His father died young and Nathan became the man of the family, caring for his genius but gentle twin and his mother. He joins the military (Special Ops of course) to earn money for his family and to send his brother to college (because a genius can't get a scholarship...oh wait, that was kinda snarky). His mother gets cancer and his brother gets duped and is facing a prison sentence. So our hero must save the day, right? He goes AWOL and trades places with his brother to serve his time in prison. His mother dies shortly before his release, and his brother is murdered the day before he gets out. He's mad, he's bad, and he's on the revenge warpath.

Terri is a strong DEA agent, or she was...until she and her partner were betrayed and ambushed. Her partner died and she was carved up and almost raped. To make matters worse, she's now under investigation as the possible leak in the horrific incident she barely lived through! So now she works for BAD (no story on how she was recruited, she just is) and is using her old contacts, BAD, and her fellow law enforcement personnel while on assignment as a 'contract police consultant' to hunt down the bastard who betrayed she and her dead partner. Got all that?

These two keep tripping over each other, and gradually end up working together (though not without plenty of distrust and possible double-dealing) to try and figure out what the hell is going on. They both have some pretty serious trust issues (DUH), not just with each other, but with all law enforcement/government agencies. The sex scenes are hot, the bad guys are really bad, the story is a rollercoaster of action, discovery, and well-paced plot building.

If you can get past a few irritating things (like those I snark about above) and you enjoy romantic suspense, you will be very happy with this book. I certainly plan to buy the next in the series to see how these sexy BAD boys save the world.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom in the Night.

Auntee Looks like this one turned around for you--I'm glad! I'm just about ready to start it and your review has me eager to get to it! :)

message 2: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY I remember reading one novella in the Bad Boys anthology that had Kenyon's name on it but it obviously didn't make much of an impression. I still consider Kenyon as an author I've not read before!

I'm of two minds as to whether I should go back and read that novella before starting on Phantom. Would it make any difference?

I'm also surprised by the number of positive ratings on this site. The reviews on Amazon were mostly bad and made me groan coz I'd just received the book.