Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, horror, time-travel
Read from December 03 to 05, 2011

Jacob's grandfather has been telling him stories all his life about his grandfather's life in an orphanage during World War II. The stories are filled with tales about the monsters and children with unusual traits like invisibility that lived in the home. When his grandfather is killed, Jacob tells of seeing the monster from the stories and everyone assumes he has gone over the deep end. His parents send him to a psychiatrist, but by the time he is 16, he believes the only solution is to go to the Welsh island and see the orphanage for himself. In the dreariness of the fog and bog, Jacob discovers something totally unexpected.

This is possibly the strangest book I have ever read. Interspersed with photos that integrate into and enhance the story, I was constantly surprised and completely engrossed in the lives of Jacob, his family, and the "peculiar children" he encounters. This is a time travel/history/monster/fairy tale that is unlike anything I've ever read. I could not put it down. What a ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.