Gayle Francis Moffet's Reviews > Cranford

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Apr 27, 14

bookshelves: 2011, classic, december-2011
Read in December, 2011

Lightweight and delightful in that everyday drama/comedy way Victorian literature can have. I read this because I love the BBC miniseries from 2007, and while they don't match point for point, the book is quite good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cranford.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gayle Francis Moffet Cranford is possibly the most Victorian of the Victorian novels I've read (which isn't a lot, to be clear, but I'm gaining). It is absolutely all about ladies in society, to the point that I occasionally wondered if anything was going to happen. Luckily, the town of Cranford is populated with sweet, fun citizens that I was curious enough about to keep reading. The details of their lives were interesting to me because I wanted to be interested, and the barely-there plot lines carried through enough to keep the story moving.

I don't want to damn this book with faint praise, but I feel like I may be doing that. It's a nice read, but there's not really an overarching story or character arc to discuss. It's the story of the everyday lives of people in a small English village. No more, no less. You'll either enjoy it for its characters and situations or you won't. I enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that I plan to read more in the series.

Do note: If you're coming to this book from the miniseries from 2007, the book is noticeably different. It's no better or worse than the miniseries (which I adore), but it's definitely a different story. I think that if you enjoyed the miniseries you'll enjoy the book.