Jill's Reviews > One-Handed Catch

One-Handed Catch by Mary Jane Auch

Dec 03, 2011

Recommended to Jill by: Caudill 2012 list
Recommended for: Nicole, who will read it anyway!
Read on December 03, 2011

I really liked this book!

This was the story of Norman, who is an 11-year-old living in the post-WWII era. Early on in the book, his hand is amputated because he caught it in a meat grinder. I thought it was going to be super graphic and disgusting, however, it was handled well! And he was pretty light-hearted about it, mainly because he was in shock.

Anyway, the story is basically about how he copes with only having one hand and trying to be an 11-year-old. It's also a bit about the war - rationing food, new car models, ethnic uneasiness, and so forth.

I thought it was very well written. It sure made me extra grateful for having both of my hands. It's the same way I felt after reading Shark Girl. I guess you never really realize what you have until it's gone. Many of the little parts of the book were based on the author's husband, who had a similar accident at a similar age. I really liked that the small intricacies were true-to-life, rather than just what the author assumed an 11-year-old boy would go through. The author also did a great job with infusing period advertisements and sentiments, and I really felt like I was there in the story! This author also wrote Ashes of Roses, which was fantastic.

This book is a tearjerker, but definitely worth the read!! Thanks, Caudill list!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One-Handed Catch.

12/03/2011 page 52
19.0% "I'm already tearing up and it's only page 52!! Ay yi yi!"
07/08/2016 marked as: read