Zeke Chase's Reviews > Inside Out

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: thriller
Read from December 03, 2011 to January 20, 2012

Rating: 7.9 / 10

This is how pulp should be done. Clive Cussler, Steve Barry, Douglas Preston, read and learn. Although this doesn’t qualify as true pulp because there is a definitive theme, especially articulated in the final few chapters, for the most part this is a spy thriller. And after a long line of bad thrillers, it’s good to read something that actually thrills. The characters have depth, the lines are blurred between good and evil, the dialogue is believable, there’s no crazy gunfights where a thousand bad-guy-bullets go wildly spraying into the wind, and when it travels, it travels for a necessary purpose, not just exotic furthering of the plot.
My few nitpicks: The first few chapters with Larison as a POV character introduced him almost exclusively in exposition. I didn’t find it tedious, but I have my issues with exclusive exposition. Further, Mr. Eisler narrates ‘second person’ a lot. In other words, he constantly addresses the audience by saying “you” in description. Although a few instances called for it, most didn’t. This is a major pet peeve of mine.
All in all, a good book. I will read more from Eisler for sure. Perhaps I may go back and look into his John Rain series. It sounds interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out.