Tim's Reviews > Variable Star

Variable Star by Robert A. Heinlein

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, science-fiction
Read from December 03 to 05, 2011

This is the second time I've gone through the audio book version. There's a lot I love about it, but also there's a lot that annoys me. First, Spider Robinson is in love with his bits of music he's included so one has to deal with the reader (who is actually Spider) singing (not particularly well) lyrics written for the novel. That segment goes on far too long near the beginning of the book and then portions re-appear later in the book. Second, Spider gets overly cute in his word choice/description at times so I cringed at portions where the main character is drunk (and a few other places).

Overall, it's a pretty wonderful book, and while I hated the beginning, I loved the ending and it truly does have the overall style/structure of a Heinlein juvenile. I recommend that others stick to a different format (either e-book or paper) rather than the audio version so it's easier to skip past the parts that might annoy you.

Heinlein fans might want to read this for completion, but for others I'd recommend looking at many other excellent Heinlein books (e.g., The Moon is a Harsh Mistress) or a Heinlein juvenile such as Starman Jones (which is similar to Variable Star, just with a younger protagonist).
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Variable Star.