The BookChick 's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

6190526
Dec 03, 2011

bookshelves: 5-star-read, bdsm-elements, contemporary-romance, read-again, recommend-to-others
Read from December 03 to 05, 2011

*Sigh* Ms. James...you have done it again!

I picked up Fifty Shades Darker immediately after I finished Fifty Shades of Grey. I was an emotional wreck after Grey and I had to…had to…had to know what happened with Christian and Ana. I swear I don’t know where Ms. James gets her thoughts from but she manages to spin a thrilling, emotional, and erotic tale that leaves the reader panting for more.

Christian’s erotically sexy persona is tempered by Ana’s feisty innocence. Even though she has been introduced to coital bliss by Christian, her innate innocence grounds him and even changes him. Christian has been so scarred by life, his crack whore mother and Elena, Mrs. Robinson – even though he doesn’t view his time with her as abuse. The way James weaves their tale is just awe inspiring. Both of these characters are diverse and complex. There are many different sides to their personalities that keeps the reader engaged in the story because it never becomes mundane.

The secondary characters and the interactions with them also make the story interesting because their appearance compliments Christian and Ana’s story as opposed to taking away from him. I loved Mia, Jose, Grace, Carrick, Ethan, Kate and Elliot. I have totally hijacked Laters, baby for my own use. I could not stand Elena or Jack. Elena posed as Christian’s friend but clearly she had ulterior motives for remaining his friend and was clearly jealous of his jaded-free relationship with Ana. I’m glad Grace found out about her “friend” and cracked her across the face in the end. Jack…I actually hated Jack. He was a vile and nasty creature. He wanted something in Ana that he couldn't have and clearly we see that he will create problems for both of them in Fifty Shades Freed. Aaaargh!!!

Again, Christian and Ana’s story pulled strongly on my emotions. Rollercoaster is the word that I continue to use to describe my feeling about their story. There are so many “aww” and “noooo” moments that it makes my head spin. However, these moments work so well and are extremely well coordinated that it really makes the book an enjoyable and engaging read. You cheer for Christian and Ana and want to see them work because you can see that they are both compromising to meet the needs of the other.

My only gripe with this series.............Fifty Shades Freed isn't out for me to read NOW.

BRAVO again Ms. James!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

message 1: by E.L. (new)

E.L. James Hello Bookworm - thank you so much for reading and for your wonderful review. I am so glad you are enjoying Ana and Fifty's trials and tribulations. :) x

Bakudis You right, Elena seems want to be good friend whereas she just jealous about Ana

and Christian i can't blame him if he still blind about Elena (Evil woman who brain wash/doctrine bad thing to a boy).
Even in third book though when he realize about how wrong Elena act, he still feel glad (or thanks maybe)to her when she encouraged him to go to Georgia.
(i think when she give idea to him, she hope Ana can't last with Christian)
Jeeez.

Komal Great review Bookie!