Jen's Reviews > Compulsion

Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman

Jun 18, 08

bookshelves: male-author, police-fiction
Read in June, 2008

Alex Delaware is back in Jonathan Kellerman's newest novel, Compulsion. He and Milo are hot on the case again. This time they are trying to solve a mystery that starts with a stolen Bentley...a stolen Bentley with blood on the seat. However, there is no body and no suspects. Their detecting starts to uncover strange clues that take Alex all the way to New York City.

That's the main storyline of the plot. However, for some reason, Kellerman includes two very minor subplots. First, there is a death row inmate in Texas claiming to have killed a young man in California whose murder has remained unsolved for sixteen years. Milo is assigned the task of investigating whether his accusations are true or just an attempt to put off his death sentence. This storyline doesn't intersect with the first storyline except for the fact that Milo is investigating both of the cases. Kellerman would switch back to this case every once in awhile and I would have to remember who these characters were.

An even smaller subplot dealt with Robin and a contract she received to make four instruments for a dot com millionaire. This subplot was so insignificant I can only surmise that Kellerman was reaching for a way to include Robin in the book. It was almost as if he wrote the book without her and then said, "whoops, I forgot Robin; where can I squeeze her in?"

Both of the subplots made the novel a bit awkward overall. I think it would have been a much stronger book had Kellerman simply focused on the main plot and forgot the other two subplots.

As always, I LOVED Milo. His sarcasm is absolutely wonderful. I love how he will respond when Alex throws a theory out. Milo makes the theory sound incredibly off the wall. Some of his quips would make great newspaper headlines.

Petra Conner was not in this novel. She was out of the country on vacation. She was missed.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsion.