Katie Stout's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: girly-wonderfulness, from-publisher-for-review, globe-trekkers, little-brown, signed, contemporaries
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Similar Books: Can You Keep A Secret?, by Sophie Kinsella; Instructions for A Broken Heart, by Kim Culbertson

This is an adorable book about love, grief, and acceptance that's wrapped up in small, sweet package. Smith's story is both touching and entertaining, and I devoured it in one evening.

The magic of this book lies in the premise - that the entire story takes place within the span of 24 hours, starting at the JFK airport and ending in London after Hadley has flown across the Atlantic beside a cute English boy named Oliver. Interspersed throughout the narrative are Hadley's memories that give us more insight into her past and character motivation.

Hadley's headed to England because her father is getting remarried, and she's not too thrilled. We are shown the tense relationship they've had since he and Hadley's mother separated, and we watch Hadley grieve for her family and resent her father for leaving them. Enter Oliver and his charming way of making her forget about her problems and just have fun, even if she's terrified of flying.

Really, the best part of the novel for me were the scenes on the airplane of Hadley and Oliver's banter. It's snappy and cute. Oliver is really very charming, and it doesn't hurt that he's from the UK. I really liked the humor he brought to the story, which balanced out Hadley's angst very well.

The romance was also very sweet. It's not earth-shattering and epic, like so many YA books try to make it. It's simple, light, and fun, just like this book. It asks the question, "Is it possible to fall for someone after having known them for only 24 hours?" I really loved how Smith dealt with this, never dropping the l-word between them. The ending is also left pretty open. It all felt very real and honest, which I loved.

But beneath the humor and romance, there is a solidity that keeps the fluff afloat, and that's Hadley's relationship with her father. It's the main conflict of the story, and it keeps the plot moving forward. His wedding is something that looms over the first three-fourths of the book. What will happen when they see each other? I loved this more serious substance.

My only issue with the book was that I didn't like that her dad never really says he's sorry. I felt like the author made excuses for his behavior, that it wasn't really his fault because he fell in love with this new woman. I felt his character arc only propitiated the modern notion of trading in one family for a new one once you're bored - what leads to so many divorces. I understood that Hadley needed to forgive him, but I thought the dad shouldn't have been let off the hook so easily. He cheated on his wife and left his family for another woman - that's not okay, no matter how you spin it.

Other than that one issue, however, I really enjoyed the book! It's a fairly clean read, and it's really very cute - definitely a feel-good book to curl up with this winter. I look forward to reading more from this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

01/01/2012 page 8
3.0% "I don't know of any airline that will put you on the next flight FOR FREE because YOU were late and missed the plane, but I'll just ignore that...haha" 2 comments
01/01/2012 page 58
25.0% "This book is reminding me a lot of Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella!" 2 comments
01/01/2012 page 100
42.0% "OK, cutest kiss ever!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dija I can't wait to see what you think of this one!

Juhina OMG! i LOVE can you keep a secret!!, now i need to get this

message 3: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin My ears are officially PERKED! Must read!