Tara SG's Reviews > A Touch Morbid

bookshelves: ya, paranormal, hardcopy
Read in December, 2011

* * 1/2

In Six Words:

did not live up to expectations

Why did I read this? And am I glad I did?
There were two main reasons I did not like this book : (1) It had been far too long since I read the first in the series and I did not have take the time to reread it. (2) The main character lost her umpf.

Let’s take it back a step… I really enjoyed the first in this series. I thought the characters had depth and a sense of realism that made the mythology work. I’m not a huge fan of angel themed YA books, but I was intrigued by the Upstairs, Downstairs, Bound, Fallen, and especially the Siders. I still am. To be honest the mythology was the main thing that got me through this one. That and Madeline.

I loved Madeline. Had the book been about her and Luke more and less about Eden it would have had a much higher rating. She is messed up, crazy, easy to hate and love. I’m torn on whether I’ll read the next one, but if I do it will be to see more of her. Luke is amazingly complex. You can’t quite figure him out.

That brings me to Eden. She seemed lifeless. I understand that it was on purpose… to a point. But at what point does making a character blah go too far? I wanted to know what happened to Gabriel, Madeline, other Siders, even Az… but I didn’t really care about her. I don’t remember disliking her. I just don’t remember her.

All and all, I finished the book in one night. I was entertained, but I would have rather been reading something else. And yes, I may even still pick up the next book.

My Recommendation : Go ahead and read it if you have read the first one. If you haven’t started the series yet, maybe wait until the last one is released and reviewed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch Morbid.

01/02/2012 page 1
0.33% "I'm nervous about starting this with how long it's been since I read the first book. I don't own A Touch Mortal, so I can't reread like I normally would."
01/02/2012 page 153
51.17% "Picking it back up after dinner. I'm not falling back in as easily as I'd like, but I don't hate it either."
01/02/2012
100.0% "I'm not sure how I feel about this series. I really love some parts and can't get behind others. I'll do my best to better explain in the review. Shooting for getting it up by Wed night."