willaful's Reviews > The Courage to Love

The Courage to Love by Samantha Kane

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: eye-roller, giant-neon-fantasy-sign, mmf-fmm
Recommended for: fans of threesomes
Read from March 15 to 23, 2012, read count: 1

Reading this brought to mind the immortal "Simpsons" line, "I've said 'Jiminy Jillickers' so many times, the words have lost all meaning!" Kane's favorite sex word is "fuck" and its variants -- a nice forthright word, but like any fucking word, it can really get fucking tiresome and lose its fucking effectiveness when used without a fucking break. Fuck.

Telling the love story of Kate, Tony and Jason, The Courage to Love is an erotic menage Regency romance and succeeds at different levels in each category. The erotic elements are probably the most effective, despite the overabundance of fucks (not to mention "cream.") The heat level between the three is very high, with a lot of affectionate teasing, and I liked that Jason discovers a tendency towards dominance in a very plausible, natural feeling way, as part of their sexual play.

The romance elements are certainly passionate, but I was disappointed that so much of the story happens before the story, ala Diana Palmer. Tony and Jason are already established as a couple -- somewhat unconvincingly, they're not already lovers, yet in some unexplainable woo-woo way are firmly linked -- and both have their hearts set on Kate, and she on them, when the book opens. There's way too much potentially interesting backstory left out.

The historical element is undoubtedly the weakest. In a time when even being a homosexual was fraught with danger, Tony and Jason's partnered pursuit of Kate is accepted much too easily. They even propose to Kate that she "marry us" without feeling the need to offer any explanation. The instant acceptance of their threesome by Kate's 17 year old niece is particularly unbelievable. That niece, by the way, is one of the most annoyingly feisty Regency females I've ever encountered, and has an intensely irritating subplot, which took the book down a star all by itself.

Even though I didn't think this was objectively a very good book, I'd still recommend it if this happens to be a subgenre you enjoy, because it's hot and emotional and fun to read. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courage to Love.

D.G. Oh oh! Maybe I should just delete this one from my iPad.

willaful We're close enough in tastes that I wouldn't be surprised if you agreed with me. Maybe give it a few pages and see how it goes?

D.G. Oh man! Great review! *laughing like crazy reading the first paragraph*

If it's hot, maybe I'll just skim it to get to the sexy parts when I'm in mood for some hot stuff. ;p

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Cosigned to all of the above. This book made me feel like when you eat too many chips: vaguely ashamed afterwards that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

message 6: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I love that Simpsons episode. The goggles, they do nothing!

willaful AgentScully wrote: "I love that Simpsons episode. The goggles, they do nothing!"

I quote that about one a week.