Brenna H.'s Reviews > How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: demographic-childrens, dragons, genre-historical, humorous, setting-scandinavia, demographic-middle-grade, vikings, books-i-own
Read on December 03, 2011, read count: 1

So, the How To Train Your Dragon movie is, in my opinion, one of the best and awesomest movies EVER. *squees* It has dragons, a gorgeous soundtrack, hilariously dry humor, and Gerard Butler; what's not to love? :P Seriously, I love it. If not for the fact that I have some self-control and dignity and higher priorities in life than movie-watching, I could watch it every day and not get sick of it for a long, long time.

Anyway, I'd heard of the book before the movie came out, but never read it, and didn't really know anything about it besides what the title suggests (vikings, dragons, etc), though some members of my family had read it and said the movie was more like a prequel to the book. Anyway, I hadn't planned on ever reading it, because it seemed a little too juvenile for my taste (granted I read mostly YA or MG fiction, but, I'm not a teenager, let alone a ten-year-old, so...I don't usually read books with ten-year-old narrators). But the other day I randomly decided to give the book(s) a try, so I requested it from my library, and, da-da-da, here I am.

The movie is definitely different from the book, as 99.9999999% of books-turned-movies are. This is a rare occasion when I actually like the movie better than the book (I think that's only ever happened once or twice before), but I still liked the book. It was very much what it promised to be: a humorous, somewhat irreverent tale of a "useless" boy who's desperate to become a hero, even if it means becoming one the Hard Way. (I would almost liken it to the Viking/dragon version of A Series of Unfortunate Events, only that series is darker and, I think, more refined. Of course, Vikings aren't known for their refinement, so that's to be expected. :))

In essence, I found the book, How To Train Your Dragon, to be charming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Train Your Dragon.