Roy Kenagy's Reviews > Too Big to Know: Rethinking Knowledge Now That the Facts Aren't the Facts, Experts Are Everywhere, and the Smartest Person in the Room Is the Room

Too Big to Know by David Weinberger

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Evgeny Morozov eviscerates Weinberger, Too Big to Know ~I guess I need to read it anyway...

Report on "Too Big to Know" lecture by Weinberger at UC Berkeley School of Information:

“Newspapers, encyclopedias, they are just gone, at the touch of a hyperlink,” Mr. Weinberger said. The institutions of “education and politics – they’ll just shatter. How did they get to be so fragile?” With the pained glee of a scientist discovering very bad news, he added, “knowledge for my generation was at the center of the human quest. It is going the way of the recording industry. It is a term that won’t survive the generation.”

PW review:

"The fundamental and pertinent question Weinberger pursues is how the new surplus of knowledge afforded by the Internet affects our "basic strategy of knowing." This strategy evolved from "book-shaped thought," a form "in which parts depend upon the parts before it." "
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Big to Know.