Katrina (Kindred Dreamheart)'s Reviews > Death Makes the Cut

Death Makes the Cut by Janice Hamrick

Oct 07, 12

bookshelves: arc, e-reader, net-galley
Read from June 16 to October 02, 2012

Death Makes the Cut is book two of the Jocelyn Shore series. I first discovered this series last year when I came across a copy of Death on Tour on the “NEW” shelf at my local library. This is a mystery series that offers all the drama like the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries but without the paranormal. Jocelyn is a high school history teacher who can’t help but get mixed up in solving untimely & bazaar murders. In book one she ran into trouble while vacationing in Egypt. In Death Makes the Cut she's back home in Texas, yet the mayhem still follows when her friend and colleague is found dead in the tennis shed on school grounds.

I continue to adore the characters. Jocelyn has a great sense of humor. The cousin, Kayla also always offer the comic relief. The other supporting characters introduced in this book were also equally entertaining. One thing I noticed about this book was everyone looked like a suspect. Seriously, there were so many seemingly guilty parties that I almost believed they were all in cahoots. I really enjoyed the build up as well as ultimate conclusion. I was able to figure out the culprit in the last noel rather quickly; yet this one kelp me baffled until the very last second. This series only gets better and better.

The romance was a bit disappointing in the beginning considering how the last book ended, yet that quickly changed and morphed into a love triangle that I never even saw coming. Wow! Now I am anxiously waiting to see which turn Jocelyn's love life will take. I sincerely hope the author allows the reader some insight along with solving the case in the next novel.

*I reviewed a free copy of this novel for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Makes the Cut.

07/08/2012 "I remember the thrill of the first in this series and can't wait to see what happens next."
07/08/2012
6.0% "Awww man! I had hoped their relationship would have progressed. Yeah sure this scenario is more realistic; but reality sucks."
09/30/2012
63.0% "ohh this is getting good. All the drama of like sookie stackhouse mysteries but w/o the paranormal."
10/01/2012
81.0% "Forget the characters! I need a freaking grief counseling after that scene! #WTH...Why?"
show 8 hidden updates…