Sara's Reviews > Unleashed

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: 4-5-stars
Read in December, 2011

Plot: 4.5 Stars
There was a cloud of mystery surrounding this entire novel that gave it a fantastically creepy feel. Wolf Springs itself was a pretty mysterious and creepy place filled with mysterious and creepy people. The setting really gave a lot to the rest of the novel, and allowed for some storylines that may not have worked in a more urban setting. Although I figured out pretty early what the paranormal creature in this novel was, it was still interesting to follow Katelyn as she figured it out. And I was definitely surprised by who was and wasn’t said paranormal creature. There were many twists and turns in this novel, many of which I didn’t expect. I really liked how some of the mystery was figured out, but other parts have been left to explore more in future books. It really makes me antsy in anticipation for the next novel. This is definitely a great addition to Paranormal Young Adult.

Pace: 4.5 Stars
This was a fast-paced novel that I read in only a few sitting. What sucked me in so quickly was the weirdness of Wolf Springs and its residents. I wanted to know what was going on and why everyone was so strange. Katelyn’s grandfather’s strict rules about not going in to the woods after dark only furthered my curiosity. Just when things seemed to be getting a bit more normal with schoolwork and parties, something crazy would happen to suck me right back in. Although the novel didn’t end with a cliffhanger exactly, it did end right as Kat had a revelation that could definitely change things. And it left me wanting more. I can’t wait for the next novel in this series to come out.

Characters: 4.5 Stars
In a small town like Wolf Springs, everyone knows everyone, so it was the talk of the town when Katelyn showed up after her mother’s death to live with her grandfather. She had a lot of her plate: dealing with her grief, leaving her home and best friend, starting at a new school, and trying to make new friends. I think she dealt with everything pretty well, especially when thrown into weird positions. I would have liked to learn a bit more about her late parents and best friend, Kimi, and hope more information about them appears in future books. I also don’t feel like I learned that much about her grandfather, considering Kat was living with him. But the air of mystery surrounding him made him an interesting character. Trick was Kat’s ride to school, and kind of a weird dude (in a good way). He didn’t always make sense and didn’t get along with some of the other kids, but he was a great character. Cordelia, on the other hand, was a very frustrating character. Her moods flip-flopped constantly and she was always very vague when answering questions. She was hiding a big secret, but sometimes it was too frustrating. And her family was all kinds of dysfunctional.

Cover: 4 Stars
The top half of the cover works a lot better than the bottom half. I like the full moon in the woods. It gives the cover a mysterious feel that really fits Wolfs Springs. It also hints at the paranormal aspect of the novel. The bottom half comes across very over-dramatic vampire movie to me. The hands gripping the cover model’s head, along with the way she leans her head back to expose her neck, just screams vampires instead of werewolves. There’s also a bit of dead space around the cover model and the mysterious arms. But I absolutely love the font chosen for the title, and really like when the series title is included. The way the title splits the cover in half is very unique, and really draws the eye. The navy blue color chosen for the cover is a great choice because it really fits the mood of the novel.

Overall: 4.5 Stars

Disclosure: I received a copy of this novel for review from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unleashed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shaylie Thank you so much for writing a good review it was an exellent book..but its so funny how most of the books i go to see on here have all bad reviews but FINALLY someone who liked the book