Jay Miklovic's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Dec 03, 2011

bookshelves: utopia-dystopia, favorites
Recommended for: All
Read on December 03, 2011

Oh man, I loved reading this book.

I think it is a touch arrogant to call any book a must read, as though others must read the books you have read so I will refrain from calling this, or any book a 'must read'. I will say that this book is a 'should read', or maybe a 'you won't regret reading.'

In our age of taking in bits of information in so fast that we cannot even think about what we are doing, we come eventually to the place that all events themselves seem to lose their meaning. In Fahrenheit 451 Ray Bradbury gives a stark and haunting vision of of what this eventually could come to look like.

Unfortunately I am not too good at writing meaningful reviews of works of fiction, but I will express some of what was running through my head as I read this. In our current age we have a people, myself included, addicted to social media. Even the site I write this review on is proof of that addiction. In the most recent revisions to facebook, and the advent of twitter, we find that the events of everyone's lives are instantly placarded for the world to see, and consumed by the masses. We read of births of babies, deaths of grandparents, divorces, engagements, vacations, graduations, and more all in the course of a few minutes. As each minute passes we watch the upper right corner of our facebook screen and see more and more events passing by, and eventually they all become meaningless. We muster up a kind comment to our friend whose dog just died, but we feel nothing of his pain. Our interest is perked at the divorce we just heard about, but our hearts no longer break for the family. Gradually we become unmoved by the events of life, numb to it all. Meanwhile we sit and wait, wait for next status to be updated, maybe that one will illicit an emotion. We wait, "maybe the next tweet will mention me, and make my life more interesting"... yet it becomes more and more meaningless. Of course as these sites become faster and faster, and the technology makes our exposure to it more and more constant, it only becomes more meaningless. Eventually death comes to mean nothing, love is reduced to nothing, all events become mere truncated statements on a timeline as we watch it all zoom past us. That's where my mind when while reading this book.

This book captures the reality of this cycle with haunting accuracy. It blows my mind that this was written so long ago.

Great book, highly recommend!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

Aaron It struck me as almost a postmodern book in the sense that in reading a book about all books being illegal I remember having the sense that I was doing something wrong by reading it. The story really seemed to come alive in a way that most books aren't able to simply because of that aspect. Thought very similarly about the book "House of Leaves" which is one of the best novels I have ever read.

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Miklovic Oddly enough, I think the book was probably initially just a polemic against television. However like all good apocalypses it has a message to proclaim that is proclaimed in such a way that you sense its eminence no matter what time it is in history.

I hope my children will someday read this book, and I am certain that it will be current to their time as well.

I will have to read house of leaves.