Kelly Hager's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Dec 03, 2011

Read from December 03 to 04, 2011

Even though she's only 11, Harriet M. Welsch knows exactly what she wants to do with her life: she wants to be a spy. So she goes around every day (after school) on her spy route, writing down what she sees in her notebook. Things are pretty perfect for Harriet until two catastrophic events occur. First, her beloved nanny (Ole Golly) gets engaged and leaves. Then, her classmates find and read her notebook. All of a sudden, nobody wants to be Harriet's friend. And it's not even so much that she's completely ostracized. No, she's pretty actively bullied.

Oh, Harriet. I had to keep reminding myself that she's 11, because she throws a lot of tantrums and seems to never say something if she can yell it. (Is this common for 11-year-olds? Because if so, I'm really glad I don't have kids. I thought that was done with by five or six.)

But even though Harriet is a brat, it's impossible not to love her. Her observations are hysterical and she genuinely doesn't get why they may hurt people's feelings. (Do you think maybe she has Asperger's? Because she reminds me a lot of a young and female version of Dr. Sheldon Cooper.)

Anyway. This book was an absolute delight and I can't believe I didn't read it when I was younger. (I'm glad, though, because I don't think it would've served as a cautionary tale. I can absolutely see me toting a notebook, writing all my thoughts. It would not have been pretty; I tend toward the catty a lot of the time.)

So if you haven't read this either, absolutely change that. This book is very funny. :) Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.