Kate 's Reviews > Rapture

Rapture by Phillip W. Simpson

Dec 03, 11

What if the Rapture occured and everyone you love was gone? What if instead of dealing with your loss and grief you had o prepare yourself for an epic battle that would alter the course of earth? This is pretty much the scenario that Sam faces after the Rapture. he has long known who and what he is, and what his role will be, but knowing it isn’t the same as being ready to actually take on the task of saving the world.

This is a pretty epic story that deals with a lot of hefty issues. To be honest I worried a bit about whether this book would super-religious, which frankly isn’t really my cup of tea. Despite the fact that this book dealt with religious issues and beliefs I still found a lot that was relatable and real and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I really liked Sam as a main character. I thought that Simpson did a great job at showing his inner conflict. He has a lot of pressure on him, and he is facing mostly alone. He has his memories of an adoptive family that loved him, but he also knows that they were grooming him to become the person he is, the half-demon destined to help save the humans left on earth post-Rapture.

One thing I really enjoyed was that the story jumped back and forth between the present and the past, allowing us to not only see the post-apocalyptic world that Sam finds himself in, but also the life he lived, how he grew up and the relationships he forged that still fuel him now. Without those relationships it would have been hard to believe that Sam would continue to fight after losing it all. Seeing the love that both Hikari and Aimi had for him, and how much they believed he could indeed change the world, made it easy to believe along with them.

Overall this is a really good book that has action and adventure, love and heartbreak, and above all hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Donna (Jaevenstar) I like that cover!